Cistercian Abbey of Kismaros
On 8 September 1955, after the religious orders had been dissolved in 1950, three young girls, together with Ágnes Tímár, a Cistercian Sister, began their religious lives in a rented room in Budapest. The name of the Community (in accordance with the Cistercian tradition of dedicating a monastery to Blessed Mother of God) is “Boldogasszony Háza” (BH), which means “House of the Blessed Virgin.” In 1961, the Superioress of the Community was arrested along with three sisters and Piarist monk Ödön Lénárd, who was the spiritual leader of the community. Lénárd and the imprisoned sisters were freed on 21 March 1963 in accordance with the general amnesty issued by the Kádár government. On 19 April 1966, Ágnes Tímár and Ödön Lénárd were imprisoned again because they allegedly had planned a conspiracy. Tímár was finally released in 1968. She and her sisters moved to Kismaros to found a home for their community. They lived in a wooden house, and in 1982–1984 a stone-house was built for their “monastery.” In 1987, the community of the sisters became a priorate in the Cistercian Order. In 1993, the Monastery was elevated to the rank of an Abbey, and Dr Ágnes Tímár was elected the first abbess. In 1996, the Abbey became part of the Congregation of Zirc. The new, modern building of the monastery was built in 1990 and 1999.
The Church Historical Institute, which was founded by the Piarist monk Ödön Lénárd, was part of the monastery beginning in 1998. After Lénárd’s death (2003), the Institute ceased to function, and the Recent Christian Archive Foundation (2004) received the records of the Institute, but Lénárd’s collection remained in the abbey in accordance with his last will and testament. Thanks to this, the monastery has its own archive and a library, which is a collection of theological works. The library has approximately 30,000 items, and the editing of an electronic catalogue is underway.
Kismaros Szuttai dűlő, Hungary 2623
- kita nepelno organizacija
- Pál, Zoltán